Do you want to create a welcoming experience for your guests? It is starts with a franchise location that is sparkling clean! This is not only common sense, but it is backed by Science. In fact, according to Psychology Today, people with clean houses are less stressed out, depressed and are even healthier.
“A study led by associate professor NiCole R. Keith, Ph.D., research scientist and professor at Indiana University, found that people with clean houses are healthier than people with messy houses… In fact, house cleanliness was even more of a predictor for physical health than neighborhood walkability.”
After exploring over a dozen audits, we found the 79 best cleanliness audit questions that your franchise needs to know. This is part of a series of audit questions that we have done including Marketing, Food Safety, Food Quality and Customer Service.
- Customer parking clear and adequate with customer parking signs.
- Landscaping clean, maintained and trash-free.
- The outside area is properly lit.
- Sidewalk is clean and weed-free.
- Exterior garbage storage is covered and doors kept closed between uses. Dumpster containers are emptied as necessary
- and the surrounding area is maitained and clean to avoid attracting pests.
- Patio and exterior area walkways are clean, no deep visible traffic stain.
- Patio rails, gates, furniture and umbrellas are clean and in good condition.
- Drive-through menu board panel, signage and speaker post in good condition.
Front or Front of House (FOH)
- Air temperature is set for the comfort of the guest.
- Entrance and waiting area clean, tidy and welcoming.
- Layout is set as per operations manual.
- POS work station clean and organized, no visible clutter in the workspace, online pick-up sign properly displayed.
- Customer seating made available while waiting.
- All lights and lamps in working order.
- Ventilation is adequate: vents, fan guards, ceiling fans and filters are clean.
- Windows and ledges clean, streak-free with no physical damage to glass or frame. Main entrance doors and threshholds are in good condition or clean.
- Ceiling or ceiling tile areas do not show dust or water damage.
- High chairs and booster seating are clean, no broken straps, or visible physical damage.
- Tables are maintained clean, no physical damage to laminate or table edging.
- Booth seating and chairs clean, materials are clean of dried food, debris or damage.
- Paint, walls and chair rails are clean with no physical damage.
- Floor tiles, grout lines, baseboards and drains are clean, in good repair and free ofexcessive build-up or standing water.
- Beverage systems ice machines do not have mold or dust build up. Top not used for storage.
- Display case is clean inside, outside and around.
- Pictures and décor is approved, dust-free and straight.
- No graffiti present.
- Sanitized rags used to wipe down counters and tables.
- Garbage containers are cleaned and emptied as needed.
- No hand-written signs.
- List recommendations to increase visibility of location.
Back or Back of House (BOH)
- Walls and ceilings are in good repair and fre of excessive dust and debris.
- Ventilation is adequate; vents, fan guards and filters are clean.
- Hand mixer clean, in good repair and safely stored when no in use.
- Can opener maintained clean, no rust or food debris present.
- Knives are clean, no physical damage, properly stored in holders without rust or debris.
- Sinks, pans and smallwares washed and sanitized.
- Trays and baking sheets are clean and in good condition.
- Workshop floor layout as per operations manual?
- All lights and lamps and light shields in working order, fully lit and clean?
- Counters and island clean and clutter-free.
- Oven is clean.
- Stainless steel/chrome surfaces polished daily.
- Refrigerator and freezer clean and organized.
- Pans free from excessive build-up.
- Proper dish washing method observed.
- Hand-washing sinks are clean and used only for hand-washing.
- Hand-washing reminder signs at all sinks.
- Under counter area cleaned and organized.
- Mop and utility sink clean, organized, in good condition with no standing water.
- Approved cleaning and sanitizing products used and labeled.
- Back room/off-site storage areas/shelving organized and clean.
- Chemical shelf clean and organized.
- Exit doors close automatically: secured, without damage.
- Location free of other cleaning or maintenance issues. If not, please list below.
- Retail area including shelves and displays are clean, dusted and in good repair.
- Retail is mechandised according the brand standards.
- Retail area only sells approved products.
- Only approved displays, shelving and signage are present and in good repair.
- Proper min levels are set for all active products in ERP.
- Min levels and product mix are actively monitored and adjusted based on product performance, upcoming promotions, seasonal increases etc.
- Inventory numbers in ERP are accurate.
- Inventory on-hand level appropriate for sales volume.
- Retail shelves and displays fully stocked with minimal preventable out-of-stocks.
- Restrooms clean (floor, faucets, handles, toilets, trash can) .
- Restroom stocked with toilet paper, soap and paper towels.
- Employees must wash hands sign posted in bathroom.
- Record temperature of hot water in the men’s restroom.
- Record temperature of hot water in the women’s restroom.
- Deodorizers are stocked and working.
- Walls, mirrors, doors and stall partitions are clean and streak-free.
- Baby change table is clean and sanitized with liners available. The safety buckle is also in good repair.
- No visible political, religious or offensive postings.
Health & Safety
- First aid kit onsite and stocked.
- Insurance certificate on display and up-to-date.
- Crisis event poster properly displayed in kitchen area, replacing any outdated copies.
- Wet floor signs are clean and available, used for any spills present. They are stored out of guest view.
- Fire extinguishers, serviced and not expired.
- Staff in uniform and wearing safety boots when needed.
- CO2 tanks are secured in accordance with safety protocols.
When doing your cleanliness audit, it is great to have tasks that you can assign and track to franchisees, their staff or others on your home office team. FranchiseBlast’s Audit app has this functionality and much more.