What is a core value that franchisors bring to franchisees? Management, training and systems including Human Resources (HR). Any franchise field audit is not complete without this section included. This post is part of a series on audit questions, that also included:
To wrap this incredibly popular series up, we examined over a dozen audit questionnaires, and found the following great questions that you can add to your audit:
- Is there a program in place to ensure daily cleanliness, including checklists?
- Are monthly inventory counting procedures being completed and records retained?
- Is the location using the CRM, and do they have a dedicated CRM person in place?
- Are bank deposits made on time?
- Management actively monitors culture, and takes steps to further develop a positive one consistent with that of Home Office.
- Is there a “complaints or compliments” file?
- Adequate travel time in place for all schedules.
- Are staffing ratios to standard?
- Are all technical alerts from Home Office being signed for when required?
- Are Home Office communications being held and documented?
- Does the business owner and management communicate in a respectful manner towards the Home Office staff?
- Client schedules sent to staff by Wednesday of every week.
- Call monitoring system is in place.
- Is the 7 Steps Poster displayed in the center for all staff to see?
- Has every member of staff signed a copy of the Rules of Engagement document with copies kept in the center?
- Emergency phone numbers listed.
- Are team meetings being regularly scheduled?
- Are policies and procedures easily accessible?
- Does the management team have dependable and regular communication with the owner?
- Is the business owner physically in the location on a regular basis?
- Are all necessary state inspections up to date?
- Is there an inspection rating posted in a prominent location?
- Is the insurance certificate displayed?
- Is payroll compliant with applicable regulations, corporate policy and completed on time as required?
- Is the location generally in good standing with the Home Office, financial or otherwise?
- Is the location generally in good standing with all strategic partners?
- Are finances analyzed on a monthly basis with deficient areas highlighted in action plans?
- Are there any specific significant deficiencies that require urgent attention? If so, please describe them here along with a plan on how to address them.
- Is KPI information in use?
- Are monthly management financials being sent to Home Office within the appropriate timeline?
- Is the franchise business plan reviewed, updated and submitted by March 31st of each year?
- Is the minimum performance criteria of 85% of urgent orders completed within one hour?
- Are task audits being conducted?
- Are there any corporate orders over 1-month old with no action-items in the CRM?
- Does management know how the store is trending relative to the current month’s sales targets?
- Does management know what last week’s sales were?
- Does management know how their store’s performance compares to similar ones?
- Are finances analyzed on a monthly basis
- Are staff scheduled based on projections?
- Review franchisee’s cash flow projections to ensure that they have adequate funds to cover expenses during the summer.
HR and Training
- Are all hiring and recruiting processes being followed?
- Do all staff have a contract of employment?
- Have all staff received and signed for an employment handbook?
- Review all job descriptions.
- Are job descriptions available to all staff?
- All new hire paperwork and background check processed before staff begin training?
- Are all performance reviews filled out and turned in on schedule?
- Are all personnel files secured in a locked filing cabinet?
- Management is following all current mandatory corporate compensation and benefitspolicies including extended health benefits, wages, commissions etc.
- Management is in accordance with human rights and employment standards of the region.
- Every team member has enrolled in team training and is either on track to, or has already finished their learning plan.
- Technical training is occurring on a quarterly basis.
Health and Safety
- All accidents being recorded in the center accident book and previous entries available.
- Have there been any lost time accidents within the last 12 months?
- Is there an appointed First Aider – is the ratio appropriate and information available to all staff?
- Emergency phone numbers listed?
- Was the safe locked upon arrival?
Franchisee audits are much easier when you have the right tools in place. Check out FranchiseBlast’s Auditing software for more information.