Often forgotten but more important than ever is the Marketing section of the franchisee audit. Based on our research, the franchisee success on the Marketing audit, especially the section on planning, can actually predict growth. Based on popular demand, we did an extensive review of over 50 audit questionnaires from a half-dozen industries and came up with the best Marketing questions for you to add to your annual audit checklist.
- Exterior signage, clean, illuminated and in “like new” condition.
- Menu panels, clean and and in “like new” condition.
- Store decorated appropriately for the season.
- Television clean, in good working order, and playing approved images and footage only.
- All national campaign elements are present and in-store POP follows brand standards, placement guidelines and is clean with no damage.
- Uniforms are to standard – managers and associates.
- Name tags clean and professionally presented.
- Approved music playing.
- Franchisee provided completed quarterly marketing plan to coach by submission deadline.
- Competitive analysis completed in the last 12 months, using the proper form.
- Franchisee has used the approved forecasting tool for their marketing plan during high season.
- Franchisee submitted up-to-date crisis communication plan.
- Franchisee has the marketing collatoral required to execute on their marketing plan (coupons, signage, giveaways)
- Franchisee doing a live event during high season.
- Franchisee taking part in community events during high season.
- Franchisee has visited 5-10 local businesses to connect with the community.
- Marketing plan identifies a budget each month.
- Current national promotions leveraged in marketing plans.
- Current national platforms leveraged in marketing plans.
- Staff meetings are scheduled to review upcoming promotions.
- Franchisee and/or marketing staff attended any required training.
Print and Signage
- All marketing material complies with brand standard and is posted in the appropriate location.
- Current marketing materials being used.
- Hours of operation posted on doors and accurate.
- Promotional tents available at each table.
- Branded vans using approved graphics and PMS colors.
- Branded napkins being used.
- Branded trays are made available.
- No hand-written or typed signs in guest view.
- Posted media stories up to brand standards.
- Online ordering “call-out” available.
- Every off-premise bag contains marketing materials.
- Off-premise packaging quality standards being used.
- Gift card program in place.
- Only current and approved merchandising elements available.
- Franchise operator decal displayed at front entrance.
- Loyalty program materials have prominent placement.
Social and Online
- Franchisee posted a minimum of 3x/week to Facebook.
- Franchisee had one positive online review/month.
- Franchisee used on-brand content and held to on-brand Facebook strategy.
- Franchisee maintained updated hours and pricing on local website.
- Franchisee has 2 posts regarding seasonal marketing campaign on Social Media.
- Franchisee is familiar with Social Media posting tool and knows where to find additional resources.
- Franchisee boosted a minimum of 1x/week on Facebook.
- Social media channels monitored and comments were responded to in a timely manner.
- Franchisee participated in the National Marketing campaign.
- Campaign details printed and posted.
- Prize awarded to customer.
- Approved display rack has current POP.
- Monthly POP clearly advertised on the menu board.
- Franchisee reads all head office communications.
- Franchisee only used approved offers.
- Franchisee requested approval before marketing additional offers.
- Franchisee maintained a positive, respectful relationship with franchise marketing team (no incidents reported since last reporting period).
- Marketing material purchased through approved vendors.
- Franchisee spends $x/month in the community, above AdFund spend, as per the agreement.
- Franchisee is familiar with most recent campaign.
- Product knowledge questionnaire – all associates and managers have completed it.
If you are as enthusiastic about Marketing Audits as we are, feel free to connect with us at firstname.lastname@example.org!